Thursday, May 1, 2014

Day 37: A Letter to Gareth

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Dear Gareth,

I'm back at Bren's apartment in Hadong after a long and good day, and I wanted to post about it to friends back home, but it only seems fitting to write directly to you. True, the words will be read by them and not you, but here I am anyway, beginning with "Dear Gareth."

Maybe it's because this is where we met. Maybe it's because you considered this small town your true home in Korea. Maybe it's because we spent so much time here that everywhere I look I see us. I see you. You are everywhere here.

I arrived last night when it was dark, so I could have almost been arriving in any town. It wasn't until the sun came up and I stepped foot outside of the apartment that I was reminded of where I was. Remember that feeling of "coming home" that you talked about when coming here? I had that today. My feet knew the sidewalks beneath them. I was comforted by things familiar.

I met with your dear sister Soon today for lunch. She picked me up at Bren's (he's living in Hadong now, near where Renita lived) and we went to a tiny place off the main market street- behind where we used to go to get samgyeopsal. We sat and ate bibimbap (you would have loved it) and talked about all kinds of things- wanting to take naps, hiking, my new job, dermatology, Sheldon getting money taken from his back account. I couldn't finish my food and when I left an older man one table over asked me in Korean if I didn't find it delicious. He noticed I had not eaten all of it. This would have pissed you off royally, and I kind of giggled about that.

After lunch we went to the tea house on Full Mart street, the one that usually has the white christmas lights and is on the street going up to the back entrance of Hadong Park. Soon had jujube tea and I had maesil cha. Soon remembered that this was the first place she took you and pointed out where the two of you sat. It struck me as a place that you would have loved returning to, and I felt sad that we didn't spend time there. I felt the waves coming on, but this is one of the few times I tried to stop them. I pushed it back and stopped them. I didn't want Soon to be upset by my tears and I did this for her, your sister who you loved.

I explained to Soon that I talk to you all of the time. I said I'd been asking you at night to please let me feel you near me. To please visit me in my dreams. I said I'd been distressed that this hadn't happened. Then I told her of my dream a few nights ago when I saw you standing outside of your apartment in Gyeongju. I was in my car approaching you and you were standing there. You didn't see me, but I saw you, and I was SO excited. "It's HIM! It's really HIM! It's not just someone who looks like him!" I couldn't believe it, and I was thrilled. Then I woke up. It was a little after 4 in the morning.

I asked Soon if she ever talked to her husband or wanted to see him in her dreams. "I don't want it," she said. "We have a way of thinking in Korea," she explained. "If you think about the person after they die- if you think about them and talk to them and see them in your dreams, they cannot go..." I clarified a bit with questions. Thinking of the person and keeping them connected here keeps them from being at peace- from moving on to where they're going. It made sense to me. A loving act for me would be to let you go. Not forget you- but let you go. "I'm not ready," I told Soon. "I'm not ready to do that, yet," I said. "I know," she replied.

After tea I wanted to go see Yoger Presso brother and sister and tell them that you were gone. I wasn't looking forward to it, but they would want to know. I said goodbye to Soon and walked down Full Mart street (stopping in to get treats for Baby One) and the rounded the corner at Chinese Brother's restaurant at the entrance to Market Street. Chinese Brother's scooter wasn't there, but Tattoo Brother was standing outside and greeted me warmly as I passed. After our hellos I showed him the translation that Jung Hwa sent me: My boyfriend died on March 4th. He fell from a building in Gyeongju. 경주애 있는 내 남자친구가 3월 4일 친구 집 건물에서 떨어져서 먼저 하늘나라로 떠났어요.

Chinese Brother was visibly shocked. He shared it with his sister- the girl who giggled every time we went there to eat and it drove you crazy. You'll be happy to know she didn't giggle. The first time I've seen her not do that nervous laughter. Her face was serious. Shocked. Sad. As we were talking, Chinese Brother drove up on his scooter, excitedly shouting at me like he does. You loved him. You noted that his disfigurement with his arm probably caused him to say "fuck it" to what Korean society said he should be and allowed him to break away to be the hilarious individual we saw. (Remember that summer night when we walked past him and his 2 friends on the street and ended up sitting with them for the longest time?)

"어디가요?" he asked me. "Where are you going?" Before I could answer, Tattoo Brother told him about you. He was heartbroken, Gareth. He wanted me to drink shots with him. Bond with him. I reminded him of my allergy to alcohol and he insisted a few more times. I declined. I know he wanted to share this pain of losing you together. To soften it with soju. He finally agreed to just have the shots for me. We parted ways.

Down the market street past the pizza place we'd order from on a regular basis. Past the BYC where we'd browse for crazy socks. The streets were not packed with vendors as usual and many shops windows were obscured by metal doors pulled down at closing time. I turned right at the street where Soon's bank is, knowing I was coming to the spot where we first met. I walked a few more feet and I stood there, taking in the memory. It felt good. I remembered everything about that moment. Something happened there, and we'd talk about that many times in the weeks and months after the fact. I took a picture of the place. I shared it.

To the left and I was just a couple of shops from Yoger Presso. I walked in the side door to an almost empty shop. The table where we normally sat had three woman enjoying their coffee. The other tables were vacant. "여기요!" I yelled behind the counter. Yoger Presso sister popped her head around the corner and I watched a wave of happy come over her face. She reached across and took my hands. "I miss you!" she said. I didn't want to tell her. I wanted to hold hands and miss her back and talk only of my new job and what I had planned here in Hadong.

I told her about you.

She cried. Yoger Presso sister cried for you, Gareth. She came around the counter and held me tightly and she cried. I cried, too, and I wanted you there with me in that place where we wrote so many words, played so many games of rummy, read so many poems, held hands across the table, made each other laugh, planned weekend trips. I wanted you there.

Other people started coming in, so I retreated to a seat and Yoger Presso sister busied herself with making my latte. You used to stop by there on the way into town and pick up an Americano for you and a "Bridget latte" for me. You'd also get a little chocolate for us to share. How many times did I hear the beeping of the door code being punched in my front door while I waited excitedly on the other side, only to find you moments later slowly opening that door while balancing those two coffees and several of your bags?

When it slowed down Yoger Presso sister sat with me and we looked at photos of you. Photos of us. Geoje. Namha. Gyeongju. The pension. We looked at photos and I pointed at them and said, "Here he is happy. Here he is happy. Here he is happy. I know he was not always happy," (she had seen you in small states of distress in the coffee shop) "but he had many happy times."

"Why? He did not like me?" she asked. "No," I explained. "Sometimes when he was around many people, he could be angry." I was aware that I was over-simplifying a complicated thing because of the large gap in our understanding of each other's language, but there it was. She seemed satisfied, at least, that you had nothing against her. And you didn't. You just didn't feel as comfortable with them as I did. That's ok.

I finished my coffee and listened to the lyrics of the songs playing. "Please release me, let me gooooooo....." Really, Gareth? Are you having fun with me? I laughed. This is the place, remember, where we heard the song that reminded me of my grandma. "I'm trying to release you, babe," I thought. "I'm trying. Little at a time."

When I left there, I went to see Baby One outside of my old apartment. You'd be happy to know she's still there, although her hair has grown out and she looks like some kind of miniature wooly mammoth. Remember when she was shaved like a lion? Poor thing. You knew I loved her and you used to like to call me out onto the balcony of our 8th floor apartment to look down into her yard and see what she was up to. I sat with her and pet her and gave her a treat and waited for Bren to meet me.

Bren and I walked up the steep hill to Hadong Park from the parking lot of Daekyung Apartments. You and I did this many times. I was remembering walking up there on that beautiful day with Van and Kori and also on New Years Eve to meet Dave and So Yeon. Bren had never been there before, so it was nice to take him. Up and up that long hill with all the steps we went until we reached the observatory. Here is where you recited "Moon of Mountains" to me in the first few weeks of our dating. You held me and my knees went weak and we looked at the moon and you poured your words over me. It was a moment of rare magic, it was. How lucky am I to have a memory like that?

We toasted in a new year at this place, you and I. We stood on those observatory steps, me above you so we became the same height, and we kissed. We kissed and kissed and lost track of time and where we were and were surprised by a couple of older Korean men trying to make their way up the stairs to the observatory. We laughed and held hands and ran off down the hill.

I showed Bren the giant swing. You pushed me on it more than once and said my sense of play and the way I could be an adult but still love the things of a child delighted you. You said you felt free to do the same with me. I watched you swing.

I showed Bren the bamboo forest and the canopied wooden path that made its way through massive bamboo stems, tall and green. How many times did we walk hand in hand along this path? Do you remember stopping and sitting on the bench, my head in your lap, and doing nothing but taking in what was around us? I remember the warmth of the sun and the warmth of your lap. Your hand rested on my head and your thumb petted me by barely moving.

Bren and I walked on to the far end of the park, past the big twisted stick sculpture of the lady. We climbed on the ropes and sat up there for a while. Why did you and I never climb on the ropes?

We wound our way back to just below the observatory and stopped to explore the exercise equipment a bit. Remember when you asked me to coach you with running and in return you coached me with pushups? I loved that. And you told me you loved feeling like you could help me do something better.

We found what may have been a giant, heavy hula hoop and both gave it a try. It was ridiculous. And hard. And it made me laugh both to try and watch Bren give it a go. We took a video and we laughed. Sometimes I feel odd laughing without you. Can I laugh without you here?

Down we went and I said I wanted to get a few shots of the river for your mom. I'm carefully trying to take pictures of the town you love to share with her. I don't think you ever did. I wish we would have called her together more often. We did twice, and I loved getting to talk to your parents. I loved telling them you were a good cook and a good boyfriend and I loved that they saw you were with someone who loved you and that you were in love.

At the park I ran in to Mr. Park. You know- Sunny and Mr. Park? He asked about you and, damn- I hate having to say it over and over again to people who had no idea, but I told him. I told him and he was shocked, like we all were. He kept saying it was a "tragedy" and I thought- Gareth, you have no idea how many people your loss has affected. I invited Mr. Park and Sunny to join a group of us for dinner later that night.

At 6:30 I met So Yeon, Soon, Sunny, Mr. Park, Bren, Bernard, and Jason for dinner at that crazy round building we'd pass on the way out of Hadong towards Jeondo. We always said we wanted to go in there, but never did, which is a shame because they serve the best donkkaseu I've ever had. And there are cats there. Tons of them. Walking around and doing dumb cat things, and that's pretty funny.

Here at dinner, right after I finished all I was able to eat, a wave hit. The first big one since being back here, but it was big. I don't need to tell you what this type of pain feels like. I know you've felt it. Oh, my sweet babe, I hate that you did. And I'm so glad to know you're not feeling that anymore. My feeling of deep pain will pass. Perhaps yours would not have. How much sadness I carry to know the last few weeks of your life were saturated in a hurt ignited by my attempt to protect myself and make you getting help for yourself possible. How sweet it was in those last days to hold your hand and kiss your face and both ask for forgiveness and tell you there was nothing on your end to be forgiven for.

After dinner we went to norebang and Patrick (the new me) joined us. We sang and we laughed and we danced and I was lifted from my grief in this common joy among friends. I thought of you and what you'd sing and how much I loved watching your intensity while holding the microphone. I thought of how you and I would sometimes go together- just the two of us- and sing our hearts out. I thought of singing with your coworkers in Gyeongju and smiling at Beth or Paige when you were singing, and general acknowledgment of "There's our Gareth!"

I though of this, but the thoughts were pleasant. Comforting. They added to my joy. I wondered if this isn't how thinking of you may be in the future, when the waves settle down. I hope so.

Back at Bren's now. He's sleeping in the next room, and I'm sitting on his kitchen floor in the dark, with only the glow of the computer screen casting any light. Tomorrow I'll visit my old schools. I'll remember you popping by there to see me. I'll remember when you delivered a handful of cosmos picked from the side of the road. I'll remember students making the "Ahhhhhh!" noise when I introduced you to them as my boyfriend. I'll remember how angry you were that you never got a chance to visit Yangbo before I left.

I'll visit Hadong, Hoengcheon, then Yangbo, and I'll make my way back, then, to my new town 3 hours away and towards where you were living. I will think about the many, many times I made that drive on a Friday after school to come be with you. We'd talk on the phone on my way there and I'd tell you when I was close. You'd run around to get everything ready for me- clean apartment, non-fat milk in the fridge, tonic waters and fresh lemons, tea on hand. How excited we always were to see each other after 4 or 5 days away.

I've booked tickets back home for the summer and I have some pretty great anxiety about it. I feel like I'm leaving you, which is ridiculous, intellectually speaking, but emotionally speaking it rings true. I told someone recently that it feels like I'm connected to you by a single strand of a spider web and that going home will break it. I imagine it will be another part of the letting go, but right now I just don't want to. It's a couple of months before I leave, so I'm guessing I'll be more ready by then. And I do, of course, want to see everyone back home. I just want to take my illusion of having you with me.

There it is. An update on the place you love and the people you love who live here. I didn't see Sheldon this time around, but will next time, I'm sure. I saw David and Lin and Youngju last night. And Dave. He was happy and drunk and would have wrestled you, for sure. It warmed my heart to be in the company of people who knew you and loved you. Oh! And Park Gwang Hee. He was there last night, of course. He is terribly saddened that you're gone. You know what a big fan he was of you and I together. You'd be happy to know how kind he was to me last night.

People are stepping in and doing everything you'd want done for me, babe. I'm not lonely. I've got people to hold me when I'm crying and people to laugh with me when I'm feeling like doing that. I've got an incredible amount of people loving me and propping me up and telling me that I can do this (just like you'd say) and that this will pass. Reneta Daniels even popped out of Grazie the other night and returned with a lemon tonic, in a glass, with a lemon wedge in it because I had told her how you always made certain I had a suitable drink when out in a place where people were drinking alcohol. They're watching out for me, babe. People you know are loving on me like you would if you were here.

This is perhaps the longest letter I've ever written anyone. And I have more to say, but it's past 1a.m. and I'm tired. I want to curl up with Deputy Snuggle and your pillow with your t-shirt on it and let my mind comb over the events of the day.

I miss you. I miss your voice. I miss your warm body. I miss your spirit. Tonight I will release you as much as I can, and I ask for forgiveness where I am holding on tightly.

With more love that I ever thought it possible to give,
Your babe,
Your sweetheart,
Your "love person"
Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment