Monday, September 29, 2014

Day 211: The Day I Forget To Count

September 27, 2014

I'm taking part in a 30-day grief writing course. This is day 20.

-----------------------------------------------------
"Giving Up is Not an Option" by German artist Ole Ukena, 2012.


The Day I Forget to Count

I am afraid to stop counting.
The days since you fell from that window. (210)
The days since you died. (207)
The days since I last hugged your parents. (203)

I’m afraid to stop counting.
The number of poems you wrote for me. (88)
The hikes we went on. (6)
The trips we took to Geoje Island. (2)

I’m afraid to stop counting.
The t-shirts I still have of yours. (4)
The times we skyped with your friends and family. (3)
The watches you got me as presents. (3).

Why count what you imagine to be limitless?
The number of times we kissed.
The nights we spent walking.
The beats of your heart.

I didn’t know they needed counting.
I didn’t know the number was finite.
I am afraid to stop counting.

I am afraid you’ll disappear. 


3 comments: