Monday, September 15, 2014

Day 198 Pt 2: Another Cut and Paste

Yesterday I used an old children's book as a tool to make some found poetry. I particularly love this non-threatening way of writing and used it with my middle school students back home all of the time. I get a particular kind of energy scanning through text, looking for words and phrases that jump out. Rearranging lines like some kind of word architect. Or like walking into a kitchen with all sorts of ingredients and making a surprise meal. It's one of my favorite things to do.

Yesterday's story was a bit limited, using a source containing simple and repetitive sentence structures. Today I dove into an article on CNN for material. I decided to log on and use the first headlining article I saw. It was about Britian vowing to confront ISIS after journalist David Haines was murdered.

Heavy material. I found I had to distance myself from the original context of the text in order to pull from it. Here is a text already laden with grief. How could a story- my story- Gareth's story- be found in there?

I allowed myself the freedom to isolate words, move words, and repeat words when I felt it was right. And there, there in this article was the story of my love, his great tragedy, and my deep missing of him.



-------------------------------


Together
In the two previous
years
he was most alive and enthusiastic in
his joy and anticipation
placing his hands on
me

here at home
coming from him specifically

He was, in the right mood,
the life and soul of the party
He helped whoever needed help
there when I needed him

and on other times
not like the same man
the most stubborn irritating pain in the ass
absent

the latest in a string of
troubled areas
he
falls
on the ground
rather
brutally
an emergency
really

he wanted to.
(he wanted to?)

a close friend and ally in grief
had attempted to rescue
committed to fighting
to assist
Those efforts to
drive back, dismantle, and
ultimately destroy death
and what it stands for
are faulty

each and every one of us
would probably say
we can help them
we can protect them
we will do so in a calm, deliberate way
but with an iron determination

this will only accelerate your destruction
will only drag you down
make things worse

some are
tortured prisoners
warped ideology
He was

He recently spent a year
of peace
He was strong
He was good
He was not strong enough

a day after
the fall
brutal
emergency
foreign
death
masked
I don't know
I don’t know how

a barren desert landscape
shown briefly in the will
poses a massive threat

at this moment
came a reminder
an image of him holding
me
sweetheart
He would probably say
this is not about
death
sweetheart
you have to confront this menace
sweetheart

the most important element
of this whole sad affair
is
we were
together
we were
together
but we were
unwinnable

I need to know that this-
that plans which had begun
before becoming
absent
before the fall
before death
did not lead to
crisis
to the murderous, meteoric rise
of grief

I hope that he felt the same way.


No comments:

Post a Comment